What Pilot Supplies Should I Buy?
As a pilot, you have a few key essential pilot supplies that you need to remain safe and compliant during your flight. However, there are so many pilot gear options and brands to choose from, so where do you start? What pilot supplies should I buy?
This blog post will explore the must-have items for any pilot and where to find the best deals on gear. We've covered everything from Flight Bags, Fuel Testers, headsets & Handheld radios. So, read on and get ready to take to the skies!
What is pilot gear?
When it comes to flying, there is a lot of gear that a pilot needs to remain safe and have a successful flight. Let’s face it, at the end of the day, we all want to remain safe and come home to our loved ones. The gear we are going to discuss includes Flight bags, Headsets, Inflight and preflight supplies. While some of this gear is required by law, other items are recommended.
So, what exactly is pilot gear? Pilot gear is any equipment that a pilot uses to aid in planning, preflight, in-flight, and post-flight operations of an aircraft to remain safe. This can include a properly packed flight bag, aviation charts & publications, good quality aviation headsets, a handheld radio (for communication backups), and even safety & Survival gear depending on the mission.
There are many different types of gear available on the market today. Some gear is designed for specific aircraft or missions, while others can be used regardless of the aircraft or mission to be flown. When choosing what pilot gear to purchase, it is important to consider the mission or type of flying you plan to do.
For example, if you plan to fly long distances, you will need different gear than if you plan to fly short distances. If you are flying over mountainous terrain at extremely high altitudes versus flying over the ocean or great lakes, you will need to consider what type of gear you will need. If all you plan to do is fly close to home every weekend by yourself or with family and friends the gear needed maybe quite different.
Pilots should also consider what kind of weather they will be flying in and whether or not they need to buy any special equipment for those conditions. For example, the aircraft may not be equipped with adequate heating or cooling for its passengers. In this case the clothing you bring on the trip may very well be the factor for ensuring a safe and comfortable flight.
No matter what type of gear you choose, it is important to ensure that it is properly maintained and stowed in the aircraft. Proper maintenance will ensure that your gear lasts longer and works correctly when needed. Also, a properly stowed and organized flight bag, means that you as the pilot do not have to search for an item. All of your gear should be stored in a manor that you know where to find it with ease. The last thing you want to do, is be searching for your equipment mid flight.
Different Types of pilot supplies
There are many different types of pilot supplies that a pilot can buy. Ultimately, it is up to the individual pilot to decide what supplies they need. There is no hard or fast rule while deciding gear for pilots.
Here is a look at some of the most popular and essential supplies any pilot should have:
- Flight bag: Pilots should always have a good-quality flight bag to store their supplies in during flights. A good quality flight bag will protect and organize your supplies and help keep you focused on a successful flight. Often times a pilot may have more than one flight bag. A good reason for this, maybe the mission to be flown. If you are going up for a short trip, and returning to the same airport, you may not need a lot of gear. However, a longer flight with more passengers, adverse weather conditions and altitude, may play a rule in the amount of gear you will need.
- Fuel testers: A fuel tester can help you ensure your airplane has the right grade of aviation fuel and ensure that your fuel is clean and clear of debris or water. This is an essential part of any walk around or preflight procedure. You can buy the GATS fuel tester jar that comes with 12 ounces capacity.
Also, it is always a good idea to check the fuel tank for the proper amount of fuel visually as instruments and sensors can fail. You can buy a FuelHawk Fuel Gauge for a visual account of fuel on board.
- Aviation Headset: Pilots need high-quality aviation headsets that provide noise cancelation and to hear and communicate with air traffic controllers effectively. Noise cancelation is a function that removes background noise from the pilot's audio signal. This allows the pilot to hear air traffic controllers more clearly and avoid potential collisions or conflicts. Communication capabilities allow pilots to communicate with other aircraft and ground personnel safely.
Pilots should always research the best aviation headsets before making a purchase. There are many brands and models to choose from, so it is important to find one that meets the specific needs of the pilot. Some factors to consider include price, features, and coverage. The Bose A20 headsets could prove to be a great choice for you as this is a popular headset among pilots. These headsets can be both aircraft-powered and battery powered, and are some of the nicest well-built headsets on the market.
-Handheld Radio: A handheld radio is not necessarily a must have, however it is a great addition to any flight bag, as this gives the pilot a back up radio in the event of an electrical failure in the aircraft. A good quality aviation handheld radio can allow the pilot to communicate with Air Traffic or Air Traffic Controllers in the event of a communications or electrical failure. Some handheld radios come with Comms and Nav Frequencies, however in most cases, comms channels are all that is needed.
You can shop Handheld Radios here.
What to Look for When Purchasing Gear
When purchasing pilot gear, it is important to consider the quality of the product and the manufacturer. There are many different factors to consider when choosing gear, but some of the most important things to look for include the following:
- Quality of the products
- Durability of the product
- Price of the product
- Warranty offered by the company
- Customer service provided by the company
There are some great and authentic brands that offer all of the above qualities.
There are so many options for good quality pilot supplies that a pilot needs to be safe and successful. Some of the most important items include a high-quality flight bag, good aviation headset, preflight planning charts and publications, preflight equipment, a handheld radio as a precaution to lost comms, and any other gear you as the pilot feel is appropriate for the mission to be flown. While it might seem like much money to spend upfront, investing in quality gear will pay off in the long run. Not only will it help keep you safe, but it will also make your flying experience more enjoyable.